3.21.2007

Gothic Architecture








I LOVE the little figures and creatures on Gothic and Romanesque buildings that look like they support parts of the building. I think my interest in these architectural elements came from going to Prague and being up by the Castle in the old area of the city. It was miserable weather, and It was Halloween, so there was an electricity in the air as well as the rain. I went into the Cathedral primarily to warm up, not necessarily to check out the artwork and architecture. I wandered around in the Cathedral and when I was sufficiently warmed up and ready to explore the city some more I emerged from the building where I realized I was getting dripped on, so I looked up into the cloudy sky and the gargoyles were spitting on me...It is such a vivid memory even to this day. I will even look around to see what images, if any, I have of Prague to post. If I don't have any pictures I will just have to go back someday.

Last week I walked out of the Subway stop at 53rd Street and 5th Avenue and just knew I had to explore the church in front of me. My exploration began with the first images here. (I will post more later.)

St. Thomas Episcopal Church
5th Avenue at 53rd Street

No comments: